Sunday, January 8, 2017

Peppermint Cookies

My Mother-In-Law's Kitchen

Since I met my amazing husband, and subsequently his fabulous mother, I have been wanting to write a whole series of posts entitled "My Mother-In-Law's Kitchen." Why you ask? Simple...her food is delicious (both my husband and I love it), many of her recipe's are heirloom recipes I want to treasure and pass on, and she is an amazing person I love getting to spend time with. Especially in the kitchen!
Finally after nearly three years of marriage (and a new amazing camera from my awesome husband) I have gotten a few recipes on camera, and I hope to get many more in the years to come. 

I hope you enjoy these amazing recipes as much as we do! With love from my Mother-In-Law Linda's Kitchen xxxooo


When the recipe card looks like this you know the cookies are good!
2 cups sugar
1 cup lard (yes lard! - but don't shy away these are fabulous)!
1 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
1 tsp peppermint extract
4 tsp baking soda
6 cups flour

Cream together the sugar and lard.

Add buttermilk (it will appear lumpy)



Add eggs, peppermint and baking soda.

Mix thoroughly.

Add 6 cups of flour to the wet mixture one cup at a time. 

  



 Cover and refrigerate.  




 Roll out dough, sprinkle with sugar, and cut into your favorite shapes.

Bake at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until lightly brown on the bottom. Cool cookies on a wire or wooden rack.

Frosting:
1 bag powdered sugar
Milk
Peppermint extract
Food coloring



Mix powdered sugar, 1-2 tablespoons milk, and 1-2 tablespoons extract. Add food coloring to your desired color. Drizzle over cookies.



 Allow frosting to dry before storing in zip lock bags or storage containers. 
These can be made in advance and placed in the freezer. Just remove and bring to room temp before serving. Delicious!

No comments: