Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mac 'N' Cheese

This is my best friend Stefanie's recipe and one of my favorites.
16oz pkg elbow macaroni noodles
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
16oz-18oz Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
milk
bread crumbs (I like to use Italian bread crumbs)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Make the noodles per the instructions on the bag.
Sauce:
While the noodles are cooking, in a medium sauce pan put both cans of mushroom soup. Fill the empty cans about 3/4 of the way with milk and swish a round to get extra off sides then pour in pan. (I like to use a whisk when mixing sauce to keep out clumps and it from sticking to the bottom.) Bring to small boil then pour in 3/4 of the grated cheese and cook until cheese is melted.
Once the noodles and sauce is done pour both into a 9"x13" pan. Spread the rest of the grated cheese on top and sprinkle the bread crumbs over that (this will give it a nice top crust when baked).

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 mins or until cheese is melted and a little crispy.

Substitutions:
Noodles: You can use what ever kind of noodles you would like. Sometimes I use bowtie or shells. Also on occasion you come across character, ABC,etc noodles and these can be fun too.
Cheese: Sharp cheddar is the best but as I prefer Colby Jack, I mix together half sharp cheddar and half Colby jack.
Note: I got this recipe from my best friend Stef and her oldest son doesn't like the crust with bread crumbs so she does hers half sprinkled with cheese & bread crumbs and the other half with just cheese. Also, my hubby likes this with pork chops or by itself.

1 comment:

Lexi said...

Between our posts we could have battle of the Mac 'n' Cheese LOL!! Mmmmmm I love MnC.