Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tuesday Night Denver Dinner Post

Quiche Lorraine & Pear/Apple Crisp

Quiche Lorraine
1 fully cooked crust (home made or store bought I used Julia Child's recipe from mastering the art of french cooking)

In a bowl combine:
3 eggs
1 1/2-2 cups heavy cream or fat free half and half
S&P
dash nutmeg (it's the wow factor in the background trust me!)
Crumbled fully cooked bacon (I used the reduced fat turkey bacon)
1-2 handfuls shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Pour into fully baked crust and cook in 375 degree oven for 25-30min or until eggs are cooked through (but soft not rubbery) and the top is slightly golden brown. Serve warm ad enjoy!!
This is a french favorite and I love it. I just can't deny my french roots :-)


Pear/Apple Crisp
This recipe usually calls for a 1-2 cups sugar and 2-4 tbl of flour or starch and can be found in the joy of cooking under apple pie/crisp. Here is the version I cooked last night.

2 peeled and diced pears
1 peeled and dices apple
3-4 tbl sugar
1 tbl cinnamon (or as you like)
1 dash nutmeg
2-3 dash of arrowroot
Stir and let set while you prepare the pie crust.

Crisp topping:
equal parts flour, butter, brown or white sugar, and dry oats.
Dash of salt.
Combine with fingers lightly.

1 partially cooked pie crust cooled. All tossed fruit and all juices from bowl to crust. Sprinkle crisp topping over fruit and bake at 350 for 30min.

I am not a huge fan or overly sweet deserts so this really hit the spot for me. If you like the idea of a desert with less sugar but feel like you need a little something extra at serving time try serving it over vanilla frozen yogurt or your favorite vanilla, caramel or butterscotch ice cream.

1 comment:

Lady Carolyn said...

Oh my goodness that looks great! I'm feeling much the unmotivated chef lately. :(