Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sloppy Joes

This is not a dish I grew up eating, but it's one of the few things my husband remembers his mom making--so it has sentimental value. I've found my absolute favorite recipe, which has a lot more flavor and actually makes me feel like I'm creating a meal rather than opening a can and throwing together a sloppy sandwich. Here it is:
Sloppy Joes
Brown:
2.5 lbs ground beef
2 lg onions, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Sprinkle in 1 Tbsp flour and stir.
Add:
1 pt ketchup
1 pt water
1 1/2 t curry powder
2 bay leaves
2 T Worcestershire sauce
· Simmer 1 1/2 hours, serve on deli rolls (not hamburger buns) and top meat with finely grated cheddar cheese, carmelized red onions, and crispy fried onions. Serve with homemade french fries or sweet potato fries and a green salad.

No comments: