Friday, February 26, 2010

Chicken Pesto Pasta


Every now and then I surprise myself with the concoctions I come up with. This was a bit of an experimental dinner, but to my surprise was actually pretty tasty... even the kids enjoyed it and that is saying something. Lately I have been experimenting with the jarred Pesto you buy in the store. (I used the Classico brand)

Pasta 
1 can chicken broth
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
 2- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
Vegetables of choice...
2-3 tablespoons parmesan

1.) Cook pasta. Drain, set aside. (I used Rotini- and a lot, I have 4 kids... make as much or as little as you need)

2.) Make "sauce" in separate bowl- 1 cup chicken broth (set the rest aside, you'll use it later), your lemon juice, and pesto.

3.) While pasta is cooking brown chicken breasts in large skillet. (I used 3 chicken breasts and sliced then into strips later... use as much as is appropriate for the size of your family) 
When chicken is almost done, dump remaining chicken broth from the can into the pan with them, followed by your choice of vegetables. I used sliced carrots, broccoli and mushrooms, since that is what I had on hand, but any combo of your favorite veggies will work.)
Put the lid on and let the vegetables steam with the chicken and the broth. The vegetables will absorb their flavor and be extra tasty. (trust me... very flavorful!) Let the broth absorb and cook off.  Remove from heat. At this point I removed the chicken and sliced it into strips and returned it to the pan.

4.) Dump pasta into the skillet with vegetables and chicken and coat with sauce, tossing until sauce has coated everything. Sprinkle parmesan on top and serve.

yum.

1 comment:

Lady Carolyn said...

this looks great, Julie!