Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Layered Mexican Bake

Hello there! I'm Tristan, Carrie and I are cousins in law. Which means we married guys who are cousins ;) So here is my frist recipe contribution.

Layered Mexican Bake


I got the recipe and the photo from Kraftfoods.com. Sorry I didn't take my own photo, I forgot. I'll do better next time I promise. ;)

This dish is so yummy! My kids even like it. As long as I use mild salsa. Last night I accidently used Hot Salsa and didn't know it until I was cleaning up after I put it in the oven and looked at the jar. Ooops! So last night's version was pretty spicy. So I served my kids Campbell's chicken noodle soup. The hubby and I ate the dish for dinner and then again for lunch today. It is a great leftovers recipe. Warms in the microwave really well. So here is the recipe! Enjoy!


1-1/2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped (I use just one, cuz my kids are not big fans)
4 tsp. chili powder (I always just use a packet of taco seasoning)
2-1/2 cups chunky red salsa (I just pour a whole 16 oz jar in)
2 pkg. (10 oz. each) frozen corn (I only use one, cuz it is plenty)
6 high-fiber whole wheat tortillas (8 inch) (I have also used just 10 inch flour tortillas when I didn't have whole wheat ones)
1 cup Sour Cream (I always end up using more cuz it isn't the easiest to spread and it cools off some of the spice that my kids don't like)
1-1/2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided (I use the Mexican blend, and 2 cups...cuz well, who doesn't love cheese?)

HEAT oven to 375ºF.

BROWN meat with onions and peppers in large skillet on medium-high heat. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 min. Add salsa and corn; mix well. Simmer 5 min.

SPREAD 2 cups meat sauce onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish; top with layers of 2 tortillas, 1 cup meat sauce, sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with 2 tortillas, 2 cups of remaining meat sauce and half of remaining cheese; top with remaining tortillas and meat sauce. Cover with foil.

BAKE 30 min. or until casserole is heated through. Top with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, 5 min. or until melted.

3 comments:

Lady Carolyn said...

Welcome Tristan! I love the Kraft site! This looks quite tasty! I'll have to try it.

Lexi said...

Wewhoo new members!!! Tristan this looks and sounds great. Thanks for contributing, I can't wait to see what else you add :-)

Tristan said...

Thanks ladies! I'm excited to be here!