Monday, March 21, 2011

Cheesey, Creamy Veggie Soup


Not the best photo but at least there is one right? :)

So I wanted to make something that used a lot of my veggies I got in my bountiful basket. Mostly the broccoli and the cauliflower. I didn't want to make a pasta or anything and because it is still so annoyingly cold here in Utah I had a go with a soup. I wanted to post this recipe while it was fresh in my mind so that when I want to make it again I will know where to look for it. I just made it up as I went. I love doing that!

I chopped up the following:
1 head of cauliflower (from bountiful basket)
1 bunch of broccoli (just the florettes also from the basket)
1 yellow onion (from basket)
4 carrots
4 large yukon gold potatoes

So I steamed the broccoli and cauliflower in my steamer for 30 mins. Meanwhile had the potatoes boiling. I melted a stick of butter with about a tablespoon of olive oil. I threw in the onions and carrots and pressed 4 garlic cloves in and cooked those in the butter for about 10-12 minutes. The I put in about 2/3 cup of flour and stirred that and cooked for a few minutes. Then poured in 32 oz of chicken broth/stock. Stirred to combine then poured in a pint of cream. Stirred that all together and let it come to a boil. It thickened nicely. Then I added the steamed broccoli and cauliflower. At this point the soup seamed to be getting too thick so I added about a cup of water. Then for flavor added salt, pepper, and two big heaping spoonfuls of sour cream. Then I added 2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese. Cuz everything is better with cheese ya know. Stirred in the cheese as it melted. Then drained and added the potatoes. Then let the soup simmer for about 10 mins while I fried up some bacon.

Served in bowls with crumbled bacon on top.

It was YUM! Certainly not the healthiest soup, but it was warm and comforting.

2 comments:

Mrs T said...

Oh, that looks good!

St.Aubin said...

mmmmmm sounds fantastic!