Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lunches the dilemma

Lunches are tough for me. Half the time its just myself and the girls and what's the point in cooking anything significant? The other half, Richard comes home for a short while and wants something significant and I had no idea he was coming home till he's home for 30 min, hungry and in a rush. Hmmm....

What to have on hand for these days? Left overs are good, when we have them. But when time is tight and we've eaten the same leftovers for a couple of days or don't have any, I tend to cheat and have Richard go pick something up for everyone on his way home. This is bad for business, since it now costs about $15-$20 for fast food or take out for our family.



For the girls when its just the three of us, I have my standbys:

the dreaded Mac and Cheese

PB & J

Peanut Butter and Bananas on raisin bread

Can of soup

Hot dogs/corn dogs

Fish sticks/fillets

Grilled cheese

--You get the point.

When Richard comes home for lunch, its usually after not having breakfast, and a corn dog just ain't gonna cut it, you know?

Suggestions? What's fast and hearty?

3 comments:

Julie said...

Although I typically make my own spaghetti sauce, I usually have a jar or two of the canned stuff around, and I almost always have cheese and varied toppings, so if you have English muffins on hand you've got a meal- English muffin pizzas. Quick,(bake until cheese is melted, or microwave) and fairly tasty, plus the kids like to help.

AJ said...

If you have your baggies of cooked hamburger and keep some Manwich sauce on hand you could quickly make Manwiches and if you don't have buns you could always use toast. Bun's can also be kept in the freezer for these times especially if you butter them and put them under the broiler for a few minutes.

Lady Carolyn said...

Nice! Thanks!