Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What we try to do to be frugal

Richard and I are often too spendy. We love different foods and are both prone to be lazy, resulting in eating out a lot. A LOT. On the weeks we are on the ball and prepared, here's what we do....

1. Make a menu. I use 2 different kinds of menus. some times one works, sometimes the other.
menu 1-- list 14 dinners, lunches and breakfasts.
Highlight the ones that need to be eaten sooner, eat the meals you are in the mood for
Menu 2--Schedule day to day B, L & D

2. Use your food storage. I walk in and go "Wow, I have a lot of cream of mushroom. What else do we have to use some of that?" or "That vegetable soup needs to be eaten soon. add some bread and there's a lunch." Then I add that to my menu.

3. Shop with the weekly ads. I got a turkey breast at .99/lb a few weeks ago. Then planned a meal around it. Actually two meals, since we use the meat for sandwiches the next day.

4. Stretch your meat. At least twice a week I make a roast, ham, chicken or turkey and use the leftovers to make something else. Most can be sandwiches, ham can be made into a cheesy potato casserole, Roast into stew... you get the point.

5. Pork chops are cheap! use 'em. Zatorain's is cheap. Spaghetti is cheap. All are hearty and filling.

6. Spaghetti sauce. I spice up the canned cheapies. a few spice, some hamburger and you're set. How may kinds of noodles are there? None are lavishly expensive. my kids don't care that the sauce is the same, change the noodles and its a new meal to them. We have some form of spaghetti at least once a week. (usually for lunch as Richard is not as easily fooled.) add some garlic bread one day, mozzerella the next, some chicken chunks the next. Happy family for a few dollars a day.

7. have a food budget. Make it reasonable. I know I use somewhere between $80, and $120 a shopping trip on food. We budget $120 every two weeks and I keep the leftover money for the days I don't want to cook and for the little extra pocket money I usually end up needing.

8. Mom's and Grandma's. Once or twice a month, isn't it nice to go visit family? That sure helps us on food. LOL

9. Day old Bread Store. Love it, live it, use it. its cheap, tastes the same and my family goes through it before it goes bad anyway. If you have a big freezer--which we don't--even better! freeze the bread, snacks, etc.

10. Eat before you shop. I need to heed to this better. I vear from my shopping list when I'm munchy.

That's off the top of my head, and we still need a lot of work on our food expenses.

2 comments:

Lexi said...

One of my fun left-over make-overs: Jeff loves the boneless frozen hotwings-strips from costco. Ocassionally we'll heat up more than we can finish. When we do this I bag the left overs and then dice them up the next day to make spicy chicken chili. It's great!

I can post the full ingred list later if you like:-)

Lady Carolyn said...

Oh! Please do!